I have been contemplating a no buy period for a while now. Well, it’s official. As of May 4, 2013 I am going on a 6 month official NO BUY.
First of all, as of right now, I don’t need anything. I have multiple back ups of all the different types of products I use. Also, some of my makeup is getting old. I just chucked a Revlon foundation bottle because it went bad (although it was still purchased less than a year ago). My Urban Decay Naked foundation and Inglot AMC foundation look suspicious and they were all purchased less than a year ago. This has gotten me to think about all the make up I have that may be about to expire. I would hate to think of my Armani Fluid Sheers being chucked – that stuff was expensive!!!
So, I need to give myself the opportunity to use my older products before they go bad. I’ve been jumping around way too much trying other newer products, letting older half used products languish. Not allowing myself to try something new means I can use up what I already have. Plus, I still have unboxed items I haven’t even tried yet. I’d like to eventually get to those. But I won’t allow myself to until I make a dent in older used products.
This mission is two-fold. First, do not buy a single cosmetic, or skincare, product for the next six months. My freedom day will be November 4, 2013! Second, I must focus on using up my older products before they expire. The only thing I am allowed to purchase are cotton balls and q-tips. I’m going hard!
I have a particular focus on the products I want to use up:
1. Fluid Armani Sheers: I went nuts buying these because I used them EVERYDAY to color correct some older foundations and mineral sunscreens. I don’t have the same need for them now because cosmetic companies have been getting better with their shades. I can still use them, but I have way too many bottles and I hate the idea of these expiring.
2. Shiseido Sunscreens: I purchased the bulk of these in the last year. Kept forgetting I had some stored in boxes. Woops. Now they are all out in the open. These are all great for the summer months. The original turquoise bottles will be my focus before I move on to the Urban Environment white bottles. Need to use up those almost finished tubes.
3. Other Sunscreens: If you follow dermatologic guidelines on usage of sunscreen, we should be finishing a bottle of this stuff almost monthly. Woops. I am going to be a sunscreen queen doing extra thick layers! Plus, sunscreen loses potency. Ugh, that Josie Maran bottle needs to be used ASAP.
4. Liquid Foundations: I’ve been loving powder foundations for a while now, but it means I’ve been letting my liquid foundations languish. Not so bad it you have one or two bottles. Really bad when you have like over a dozen. Crap. Retiring my foundation powders for a while because those take forever to expire. My liquid foundations are another story. I am going full face base for as long as I can before the real heat hits when I need to tone down the base because of excessive oiliness and sweating in NYC’s gross summer weather.
5. Primers: I really love my La Roche Posay Anti-Aging Primer SPF. However, I have multiple bottles of other primers that are older and sit unused. I need to get through it. I am not a fan of the Smashbox primer, but use it I MUST.
6. Moisturizers: This one is going to be hard during the summer which is why I need to get on this ball NOW. I have a few jars of PCA Skin moisturizers, a Garnier, a Yes to Carrots (blech), and smaller assorted moisturizer creams I need to get through that are almost done but not quite. I think I should only ever have two on call.
7. Masks: I have a few jars and tubes of masks that are a bit old but still useable. I need to finish those up stat. Part of the problem with some of them was the fact that they weren’t that great to begin with. So I rarely used them. Now, it’s on. I am going to be heavily utilizing my masks like I am at my own spa.
8. Toners: I have way to many toner bottles. Need to cut them down to like two – one for super oily skin and the other dehydrated skin. I don’t need so many. These won’t be difficult to use up, especially during the summer when my skin is a grease pit.
9. Sample Packets and Tubes: The stuff in sample packets can go bad. I know. I learned the hard way with some Khiels. I felt like the lead singer of The Cult singing “FIIIIIIYYYYYYYYYYAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH.” I have never experienced such a burning sensation on my face and I have used 15% salicylic acid peels.
10. Lipsticks: I think lipsticks can last a long time, but I don’t want to risk it AND I rarely use it now. I need to justify some of these purchases starting with my oldest lipstick products. Laura Mercier’s Lipstick in Maple is going to be a particular focus, as well as a MAC Slim Shine I did not care for. But I do not know what the hell I am going to do with the WORST lipstick purchase in HISTORY: NARS Cruise. What the hell am I going to do with that sucker! But figure it out I will, even if I have to utilize the aid of my littlest helper: my niece. 🙂
I’ve already isolated certain bottles, tubes, jars and pots that are near completion, and those that are the oldest. That will be the subject of another post. 🙂 My blog won’t really suffer because there is so much stuff that I haven’t blogged about yet. On the other hand, there won’t be any “new to the market” products for a while, since I can’t buy anything. Oh well. So there better not be some new blockbuster product launch for the next six months! This will be a test of my restraint for all things beauty related. AYYEEEEE.